Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss




Perhaps it's because I'm eternally stuck in fourth grade ... but I LOVE Dr. Seuss! This week is one of my favorite weeks because the celebration of his birthday on the 2nd of March brings people, big and small together in a carefree way.

His work is ... well, not WORK at all. His words are play, everything he wrote screams, "PLAY!"

I guess it's that whimsical, fun, dare-you-to-find-something-serious-here sort of way that he approached every story, every poem, heck ... practically every word he ever published!

And so, with respect to the master himself, in honor of his life, and in acknowledgment of his accomplishments, I hope you snuggle up with some little someone special this week as we celebrate Read Across America. I will be celebrating with countless students as I begin another busy week, but first I leave you with my own Seuss-inspired words of play:

Would you set aside some time
To read or write a special rhyme?

This would be the perfect week
To write the words you might not speak.

Some say writing is like baring your soul
I guess I'm a bare-naked writing fool!

I hope you like my words, I do
That's why I share them here with you.

It is my hope that they bring you glee
And make you want to share with me.

So, leave a note, in rhyme or not
For me, it would just hit the spot

To know that I've inspired you
To celebrate the master, too!

You see, I have no cat
Sitting within my hat

But there's one thing I must say
That on this very special day

My hat is tipped in reverent praise
At every word, in every phrase

To which Dr. Seuss crafted oh, so well
Please, go and read, and write and tell

Tell every child you see today
That they should write their own heart's way!

For that would make the master proud
Now, write and share, and read aloud

Ahh! Tapping keyboards and drinking eyes
The sights and the sounds of growing wise!

I remain in awe~
;-Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment