Monday, July 12, 2010

This Might Seem Like a No-Brainer... BUT...

Yep, that's a big ol' BUT ... buuuut, bear with me here.

Isn't it typically the things that are right under our noses which go unnoticed or taken for granted? I'm thinking ... YES!
Today's Laser Tip is one of those~


One word: Crosswords

Seriously, doing crossword puzzles together with your kids is a great way to:
~keep their brain (and yours) sharp
~build a strong vocabulary (no matter what age)
~spend time together
~build memories
~have fun!

I remember many special moments doing crossword puzzles with my kids, snuggled under a blanket on the couch or in front of a fire in the winter. Other times when we were on vacation and my husband was driving, I'd be doing a crossword puzzle in the front passenger seat, and I'd call out a clue to our sons in the back seat. Often times, it was a collaborated effort to get the right answer; however, some of the 'wrong' answers would spur opportunities for a 'side' lesson.

In addition to filling in the answers on the puzzle, we'd take turns spelling the words and using them in a sentence. This is especially beneficial when there are various age groups participating. Crosswords are generally easy to keep age-appropriate since there is typically a mix of short words and big words.

To make it more fun, you can make 'rules' that the sentence can only pertain to a particular subject or scenario. For instance, all sentences must somehow relate to a zoo. If a clue to a particular puzzle is: Six-letter word for 'a place to learn.' And the answer is 'school,' someone must spell the word 'school' and use it in a sentence pertaining to the zoo. Teens might say something along the lines of, "The last week of school was like a zoo because there was not much structure in our schedule." Younger kids might say, "I'd rather go to the zoo than go to school!"

Either way, there is a hidden bonus here ... insight to what your kid is thinking and feeling. The first sentence might clue you in to the fact that your older child is beginning to prefer structure, even though they might resist it from you at home. And, although it might not be a surprise that your younger child would rather do something more fun than school, it presents you with an opportunity to broach the subject in a gentle manner.

VOILA! Time spent with your kids, future memories, sharpened vocabulary skills, and built-in lessons ... Oh yeah, and you had ... um ... what's a three-letter word for enjoyment? ...

Remember, for more creative ways to have fun with your kids, check out my free interactive website and watch segments of my NBC and CBS morning show appearances on my YouTube Channel. Also, stop by your local book store and pick up a copy of my Best-Selling interactive book for kids of all ages, 'Color My World.'

As always, I LOVE it when you share your creative successes with me ... here or by email: harmonypublications@hotmail.com.

And, I appreciate it when you pass my information along to your friends!

Until next time,
Enjoy the magic~
;-Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment